Followers

Monday, 15 July 2013

52 Weeks - 52 Things Week 2 plus Stitching Update

Hi Blogger Friends,

Summer has finally arrived big time here in the UK so before I do an update here are a few photos of some of things that have suddenly gone crazy in my garden.

 I have never seen the blooms so big as this on this plant and we have had it for about 10 years
The Cherry Tree is absolutely smothered in cherries this year. Normally we see a few ripening up but by the time we go to pick them the birds have had them. This year both my husband and daughter have been able to pick and eat them and still plenty left to feed the birds :-)
And I know these are weeds but the daisies are very pretty.

Well I have just done my second week and here is how I got on.

52 WEEKS - 52 THINGS

BOOKS

I still have not purchased any books everything that I have read has been from either bookcase, kindle or library. (2/52) I have started to read the fiction book The Summer Queen by Elizabeth Chadwick. This is the first of a trilogy of books about Eleanor of Aquitaine (or Alienor) as she is known in this book.

I finished reading the Non- Fiction book A Visitors Companion to Tudor England by Suzannah Lipscomb. It was an enjoyable read about Tudor buildings that you can still see either in their entirety or partially and what part they played in Tudor England. I really like her writing style not overly academic so you don't struggle with understanding what you are reading. (1/12)

I am currently listening to Diana Gabaldon's Outlander having purchased the books from Audible.com. These books are lengthy and I am about 70% through book 1.


I have continued to manage to read the Bible every day. (2/52)

TV/FILM/RADIO/SOCIAL MEDIA

Better success here this week.


I watched Angels and Demons a film I have not seen before. I had read the book previously and really enjoyed it. I found the film a bit clunky although toward the end it did improve and for me as good as an actor Tom Hanks is, he isn't Robert Langdon . (1/12)

I listened to the Book at Bedtime The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman, as part of my spoken word radio challenge. Not sure if I enjoyed it or not it was a bit weird. This was in 5 parts (2/52)


The programme I watched which I would not normally do was Darcey Bussell Dances Hollywood and it was really good. In this programme Darcey Bussell (ballet dancer) recreated 4 dances from the films of Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse and it showed how she had to unlearn her classical ballet training to be able to do the dances. It was very interesting and I am glad I watched it, which was by chance as I was flicking and it caught my eye. (1/52)

I did not use Social Media on Sunday (2/52), but I did not manage my day free from TV/Radio or listen to a classical music programme and I also did not manage to keep my other social media days to an hour in total.


CRAFTS

Still have not purchased any new stash apart from a couple of replacement threads which was allowed. (2/52)

I have not bought any magazines either  although I was tempted :-) (2/52)

I have completed another 3 Granny squares (2/52) Photo will be in the Stitching update.


FOOD/COOKERY

Vegetarian Day was Friday (2/52)

The new recipe I tried was Lemon Chicken from Nosh for Students by Joy May it was so yummy, I will definitely make it again.  (2/52)


No eating out or takeaways this week (1/52)

Did not manage to stick to meal plan or budget. Meal plan went awry because of the heat so had salad a lot more than usual and budget was over but still under what we had been spending, but I do intend to get that sorted.


GARDEN

I have managed to spend some time in the garden but the heat has been prohibitive for me as too much sun gives me headaches, but I am sure this little bit of summer will not last that long so I am hoping to get back on task.


HEALTH

Still not eaten any chocolate (2/52)
Done my 10,000 steps at least 5 days per week (2/52)
I have drunk my 8 glasses of water each day (2/52)

FINANCE

I added £4 this week so total now £28
Shrapnel is now at £1.43 so 30 p added this week.
and continued with turning things off to save energy (2/52)

OTHER

Continued not biting nails but they don't look much different to the photo I posted last week so I won't do an update pic (2/52)
I have continued to journal everyday (2/52)
And I have continued to keep Loubie's Lot up to date. Two posts this week(2/52)

STITCHING UPDATE

Here is the photo of the 3 granny squares I did this week.


 I also completed the Margaret Sherry Christmas Card below for the FWC Card Exchange this time the theme was Christmas. I love Margaret Sherry designs but loathe the back stitching on Aida. Even with using a sewing needle instead of an embroidery one I still struggled with it. That said I am pleased with the result.



I continued working on the Polstiches Pixie SAL - Pansy. This week was supposed to be the last week working on this project so I have not completed it in the estimated time, but I think most haven't. In fact I have only seen one completion and that stitcher does stitch fast. So I have about 15 hours work left to do. I am aiming to get it completed by Friday 26th July as I am away for a few days next week and will not be taking the project with me.



I have also made a start on this months Christmas Ornie for the 2013 Ornament SAL. Once again it is a Santa, this time a freebie from Sue Hillis Designs - Pirate Santa this is the link Here
 
I have stitched it on a piece of fabric from a Crafty Kitten grab bag (if you are interested this is the link for the website here) using the listed DMC floss


I have not managed any work on my Christmas in July project but intend to make up the missing hours when I return.

That is it for this week.

Bye for now

Lisa



 


4 comments:

  1. Well done on the work you've done in keeping to your 52 in 52 challenge. It's a lot of changes to fit in and I wish you all the best in continuing to keep to it.

    I love the progress you've made with your stitching projects, especially Pansy :)

    The warmer weather is lovely and the flowers in your garden seem to be enjoying it too!

    Have a lovely time away :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are doing really well!
    The MS card is very cute.
    Hope you have a good week (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the lovely comments and apologies to Linda for accidentally deleting your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The MS card and Pixie look so nice! Congrats on keeping up with your goals!

    ReplyDelete