Followers

Wednesday, 8 June 2016

1st June - 7th June 2016

Hi Blogger Friends,

As I stated in my previous post I have decided to go back to weekly posting for the time being mainly because doing a monthly post takes up a lot of time in one go.

So this is what I have been up to over the last week

Stitching

On the 1st I started working on my final pin cushion in the series June designed by Sheena Rogers for Cross Stitch Collection magazine. I worked on it for just over 5  hrs over 5 days in the week and below is where I got to come the 7th

I also started work on my Whine and Wip project, which is the Stitch Maynia (Facebook Group) monthly SAL. Below is my starting point and  where I got to after 3.5 hrs stitching (I am doing 30 minutes a day for this SAL)


I also made a start on the Summer Sampler by Janlynn. Below is what the overall design looks like and where I got to after 3.5 hrs. This project like the Spring Sampler I will do 46 hrs of stitching over the three months of Summer 1st June - 31st August, which equates to 30 minutes a day.


I am a little unhappy with this kit in that the fabric supplied does not have much of a border around the design area just under 2 inches. I may have to hem some fabric to the four sides for framing. I do believe sufficient fabric should be supplied, kits are not that cheap and yet they seem to be cutting corners on this one which is a shame as it is a lovely design. Also I do not want to swap the fabric out as I have used the kit fabric for the Spring design and want all four to be consistent.

I also spent a couple of days working on the Three Things Sampler by Bothy Threads - a kit I purchased from Polstitches so that I could choose which fabric I wanted to use and the design is originally by Moira Blackburn (who I believe has now retired).
This is where I started from this week and below is where I got to after three days
I did finish the green bit that is out of shot and I am pleased with my progress with this.

I made a start on my Prairie Schooler Alphabet Letter F, I have spent 2 hours over 2 days so far on it and here is where I got to.
I will give this more time once I have completed June Pin Cushion and as always am aiming to have it completed by the end of the month.
Finally stitching wise as mentioned last week I made a start on Enchanted Aurora by Joan Elliott, this is going to be my focus project until September and with a bit of luck I may get her completed.
I like to start off organised. And this is where I got to after 4 evenings which represents just under 8 hrs stitching.
I am really pleased with the progress I am making and love the colours in this design.

Reading wise I have been listening to the 4th book in the Phryne Fisher mysteries by Kerry Greenwood  - Death at Victoria Dock. As I have said before they are an enjoyable quick listen. I have also been listening to a YA book the first in the Raven Cycle - The Raven Boys and so far I am enjoying this too. Actual reading wise I have continued my reading of Jane Eyre I only read about 20-25 pages in a sitting and not every day so I may not complete it in June but will continue with it until it is finished. I had forgotten what an easy and enjoyable read it is. I have also started on Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, plus listening to the audio at the same time. I have just started a book called Eden Gardens by Louise Brown  set in India, starting in 1934. I am only a few pages in so cannot yet say if it is good or not but what I have read so far I have liked and I am also reading The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie. This is a joy it is so like the TV adaptations probably closer to the Joan Hickson Marple than the Geraldine McEwan one but its a good read and quite short the whole book is only 160 pages I have the facsimile edition and below is a rather hideous photo of me in bed getting ready to read. The glasses are not my actual prescription glasses just a pair of 2.5 readers which I normally use for needlework but are great at bedtime giving me that little bit of extra magnification for tired eyes.
I love the cover :-) And in regards to book buying I only purchased one book this week and this one was a case of loving the cover and not really knowing what the book is about, although in my defence I have read books by this author before and enjoyed them
Finally for this weeks posting we went to Cardiff on the evening of the 3rd June to view my sons exhibit of his first year art work for his Degree in Fine Arts. Below is a proud Mum photo with my son
He had four pieces displayed and we are standing in front of two of them. He definitely has a style of his own and I can see progression from what he was doing on his previous course and of course I love his use of colour. On Tuesday, 7th June he had his review and is currently on for a 2:1 if he continues through the next two years at the same level. To say we are immensely proud of him would be an understatement. To have spent all your education in the special needs schooling and have no formal qualifications plus his disability (Aspergers' Syndrome) he has done so remarkably well.

So that's it for this weeks post. I think doing them weekly is a lot less stressful so will continue with this for the time being, and I think I have had a fairly productive week.

Bye for now
take care

love
Lisa x




2 comments:

  1. You've made great progress on your WIPs. They're all beautiful. Although that's really frustrating that the Janlynn kit shorted you on fabric.

    I also like to listen to audiobooks and podcasts. The Harry Potter audiobooks are some of my all time favorites. Enjoy!

    Congratulations on your son's art exhibit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments Amy:-)

      Delete