Monday, 12 September 2016

Update 12th September 2016

Hi Blogger Friends,

Firstly, a big thank you for the lovely comments I received on my last post and as promised here is my update for the last 8 days. This is slightly different to how I normally blog but I am hoping it is better and more detailed.

4th September - Sunday

I worked on Death by Cross Stitch by Long Dog Samplers today. I only managed to get about 2 hrs stitching done in the evening whilst watching TV, the highlight of this being the new series Victoria with Jenna Coleman and Rufus Sewell, tonights was episode 3 of the series. It is much better than I had anticipated, but then I am a sucker for a period drama.

I did get a little more done than the photo shows but the little froggie came a visiting so I had to unpick the section - 1 stitch out the bane of my life. I worked the heart and the bottom left section, trying to complete this little bit before moving down and across.

Also on Sunday I went to Gloucester to collect my daughter from the train station and for a wander. I made Leek and Potato soup. I finished a book called A Laetitia Rodd Mystery - The Secrets of Wishtide by Kate Saunders this was a Victorian set mystery. Laetitia Rodd is a clergyman's widow who has a brother who is a lawyer and provides her with cases. I do hope it becomes a series of books as it was very enjoyable. In the authors afterword it is loosely based on characters from David Copperfield. At bedtime I read a couple of chapters of Dumb Witness by Agatha Christie ( this is one of my favourite David Suchet Poirot tv episodes and the book is so far living up to that) and a couple of chapters of All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot. Both were very enjoyable.

5th September - Monday 

I had the dentist today, just a check-up and everything ok for another six months even had a couple of x-rays done on my back teeth and all still good. Stitching wise I put about a dozen stitches in to Death by Cross Stitch so there is no photo update today. Did a couple of dog walks and in the evening I chatted to my daughter whilst watching Say Yes to the Dress UK before settling down to watch the new series of Cold Feet which has returned after a 13 year absence. I enjoyed it I think it has promise.

At bedtime I finished reading Peter Pan which I started at the beginning of August. I am glad I have finally read it but it really isn't what I thought it would be. And then I thought I would start another Childrens Classic from my TBR pile
I have seen adaptations of this but never read it. This is the Oxford Childrens Classic edition and it is so pretty. I read three chapters and so far I am really enjoying it.

6th September - Tuesday 

I had plans to do loads a thing on Tuesday but after walking the dog and going to the shop I really did the bare minimum to keep the house ticking over. My reason for this it was so humid, it is the one type of weather I really do  not cope well with. If it is baking hot I can get in the cool but humidity just makes me hot, sticky and fractious. So I spent the majority of the day working on Death by Cross Stitch and listening to Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (Book 6 in the series) and I really enjoyed it and made some good progress.
In the evening I watched an episode of a series called Million Dollar Princesses which I viewed via Sky's catch up - I thought it was a repeat but in fact it is series two and this one featured the Movie Stars that married royalty - Grace Kelly, Gloria Swanson and Rita Hayworth and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I also watched episode 3 of One of Us a crime drama - that was good too, next week it is the final episode so we will finally find out what did really happen. My bedtime reading was I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh, I read it on my Kindle and got through 11% of the book in one reading so I must have been enjoying it. This style of book I usually can read quite quickly as I like to know what happened.


 7th September - Wednesday

I was up early today as my Husband had to get off early, so I was able to potter about before my adult children got up. So after showering, getting dressed and loading the washer I sat down with a cup of tea and started to read one of the books from my library book pile How to Find Love in a Bookshop by Veronica Henry. I have read one book by this author before back in 2006 called Honeycote, I gave it 3 stars which I deem worth reading but no great shakes. This current book however, has started off really well I read a couple of chapters so far I think I am going to like it.

and by the end of the day I had read half the book. Still enjoying it, but possibly a few too many characters to follow.

So I took the dog out for her morning walk and like yesterday I bumped into a lady who was walking her spaniel ( a very lively 1 yr old) anyway she chose to walk with me. It turns out it really is a small world, about 20 years ago I did Guide guiding in a different town to where I now live and this lady had run the unit prior to the ladies I did it with  and informed me of what they were now doing.

Also on my walk I noticed this piece of stone or brickwork and it reminded me of the shape of the Isle of Wight which is where I was born and grew up.
So it was still very humid and today I spent most of my day starting on the decluttering process of my bedroom. I managed to get a little done but my ambitions outweighed what actually happened. Still it is an ongoing process but it will get done. After my second dog walk I did a short session in the garden cutting back more brambles, but the humidity meant I did less than I would have liked - apparently fresher air is coming in from tomorrow.

I continued working on Death by Cross Stitch and below is where I got to. I am really enjoying working on this at the moment and am trying to get this little section finished before moving back to working on Simon. Probably two more days of stitching.
I didn't stitch for as long as normal as I was watching The Great British Bake Off - it was bread week and the usual disasters occurred and there were some very good things too and then we watched the second half of the latest DCI Banks adaptation, you probably can tell that I do like my crime dramas possibly as much as period ones. I was quite tired come bedtime and only managed a few pages of The Secret Garden, but what I did read I enjoyed very much.

8th September - Thursday

Lily my dog had an upset stomach, which meant I was up a couple of times in the  night and  was therefore already running on empty. Tea was my saviour - at least it helped me keep functioning.
So other than walking the dog and going to the shop I did not do a great deal today. I had a short read from Coming Home by Rosamunde Pilcher, this is a chunker of a book and I am only on page 36, hopefully I might complete it during September but I wouldn't bank on it and in the afternoon I added a bit more to my Medieval Queen bookmark. I only have the back stitching and making up to do now
I also worked on Death by Cross Stitch again and this is my progress
It is beginning to grow I know it will take me some time to complete the whole design is over 16 pages. Most of what you see if from page one although going down we go into page 5 and to the right we are on page 2. I am sort of doing it how I feel on the day.  In the evening I chatted to my daughter for awhile before watching this weeks episode of Million Dollar Princesses - this weeks episode was about ladies who had supported the arts so we had  Winnaretta Singer, Sara Murphy and Peggy Guggenheim, it was again very interesting. At bedtime I read from The Secret Garden which is charming and very readable and All Creatures Great and Small which takes me back to Sunday night TV and the series that ran in the late 70's and early 80's and is so far very enjoyable.

9th September - Friday and 10th September  - Saturday

I was blighted with headaches and did no stitching or reading on Friday and on Saturday after going to town with my children and having a snooze in bed early evening I dragged out a freebie cover kit as I wanted to do something that wasn't taxing whilst I stayed in bed and watched an old episode of Downton Abbey on the Kindle (my iPad was charging). Below is what I got done.
The thread in more recent cover kits is not very nice. As my hands are quite rough even after moisturising they tend to hatch against the thread but I should get this finished in the next week or so, there is about an hour or so's stitching to be done. There are two other designs in this freebie and I may get them done as well and made up into the little cards.

Because of my headaches Viennese Waltz did not get worked on during Saturday and no more progress on Death by Cross Stitch which is now being put away for the time being.

11th September - Sunday

 I still wasn't feeling too good today, headache gone but feeling a bit woozy for want of a better word. Took dog out and thankfully today it was lovely and sunny if quite a bit cooler, I was grateful I decided to wear my fleece.  So what do you do when you are feeling less than good - you have a new start :-)

Having kitted this design up last month after deciding on the colour scheme I wanted to do I started working on Scheherazade by Papillon Creations in the Aladdin Colourway with one change, as I am not using the Hand dyed floss but the DMC conversion I swapped out 535 which to my eyes is a grey to 3860 which is a shade more like Chocco Latte which is the Hand dyed named thread. I am stitching it on 28ct Light Peach Jobelan fast becoming a favourite fabric.
This was my practise piece and what the whole design looks like


This is the progress I made the central panel done and marked the section going up and then worked in the section going down. I love this colour palette, although it is a shame that the camera does not pick up the two different shades of greens/blues too well, that is what happens when you pick a muted palette I suppose. But this palette contains my all time favourite DMC shade of 316 which is the pinky shade you can see here.
The TV was on but only as background noise really this evening as I was concentrating on this, so no commentary on what I watched today.

At bedtime after being on Social media for a time (need to stop this) I managed to read a chapter of Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine, this has been on my Currently reading for well over a month and I want to get this read (her first book, which I have not read before but read many others which I have loved) before being able to read her latest book which is on my ever growing TBR pile. The chapter was quite long and meant I had a 4% read of the book, so nearly halfway through now. I might continue with this one this week alternating with The Secret Garden so I can make progress.
                                    
Plans for the coming week 12th - 18th September

The main thing that is happening this week is my son is returning to Cardiff Metropolitan University for his second year of his Fine Arts degree on Thursday, so most of the week will be taken up with getting him ready to return, making sure he has everything he needs and then taking him back. Stitching wise I need to put some hours in on my Prairie Schooler Alphabet - Letter G as I would like this letter finished by the end of the September and I currently have about 1/3rd done. Other than that I am not sure what I will work on, need to see what calls me I think and also on Saturday I would like to do a little on Viennese Waltz.

So that's it for now. I hope you have enjoyed this blog post which I have updated everyday so as to include everything I can think of as opposed to my usual doing it in one go and not remembering what I did or didn't do.

Bye for now
take care

Lisa x



3 comments:

  1. Wow sounds like you got loads done over the week. Sorry you weren'y feeling too well at the end of the week but hope you are better now. Lovely stitching on all your pieces. Best of luck with getting your son back to Uni.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a busy week! Love your stitching!!!

    ReplyDelete

20th November 2017

Hi Blogger Friends, As always I would like to thank all that read and or commented on my last weeks posting. So here is what I did in th...