Monday, 26 September 2016

Update 26th September 2016

Hi Blogger Friends,

This update was supposed to  coming a  day late as I was going to  visit my Mum on the Isle of Wight and would not have had  sufficient access to the Internet whilst I was away. As I write my blog daily the following writing assumes I was going away Saturday and I had booked my ferry to the Isle of Wight on Friday good to go. Saturday morning after updating my blog for Friday and first thing Saturday (the morning sky) I got a phone call from my Mum saying she has a stomach bug and did not want us to come. Luckily I was able to postpone my ferry crossing for up to 90 days so I will be going to the Island probably late October/early November now.

So since I last posted this is what I have been doing.

Monday - 19th September  

This Monday was again a slow start. I did not walk the dog in the morning as I was making red cabbage for our dinner tonight. I make a huge batch and then freeze down several portions and it is one of my favourite side dishes. We had this with cauliflower cheese, gammon  (veggie sausages for daughter), roast potatoes, carrots, green beans and peas. My husband and daughter also had gravy and Yorkshire pudding.  It was scrumdiliumptious - really one of my favourite meals.

Anyhow around lunchtime we went to town to drop daughters phone back in the menders as it wasn't quite right, they managed to sort it this time - thankfully. I also picked up some books from the library I now have 14 loans I need to do some serious reading.

After lunch we walked the dog along the canal back to the garage so my husband could finally pick up his fixed car.

In the evening I watched the film Suffragette which was quite harrowing in places and then this weeks episode of Cold Feet which was better than last weeks, although I don't think it is quite as good as the original series and some of it seems predictable, but I will continue viewing as it's an easy watch. I stitched on Flowers of Scotland Bookmark and all that needs doing now is to sew the felt backer on and attach the tassel.
In bed I read three chapters of Dumb Witness and I am still enjoying it.

Tuesday - 20th September  

I was home alone today so after dog walking and doing the housework that needed to be done I settled down to finish some bookmarks off. All of the following are probably 5 years old other than the one I finished last night, in  that was when I completed the stitching, they just needed finishing. I also finished off Flowers of Scotland. The first two are just pieces of fabric that I was playing with thread on.Then we have Snowflake Bookmark a freebie design from Kincavel Krosses, it was stitched on a scrap of Polstitches linen using Dragonfloss in Steaming Needles. We then have a freebie from Papillon Creations website and I used some old Six Strand Sweets threads for that one on a piece of pinky aida and finally yesterdays completion Flowers of Scotland by Textile Heritage
I then asked my Facebook friends which bookmark I should work on next out of these kits that I currently own
I had quite a few responses and the bookmark with the most votes was the Scotties and Westies one. So I informed my Facebook friends that I would start on that once I finished off the Geometric one I have been working on for a few weeks at bedtime.


Whilst I was washing up at lunchtime I saw this bird in my garden and I thought it was a female pheasant and after a quick Google I confirmed that it was
I do get quite an array of different birds in my garden along with Foxes, Badgers and occasionally the Deer come up from the cycle track.

In the evening I worked on the Geometric Bookmark and finished the stitching it just needs to be ironed and have the backing attached.
Whilst stitching I watched the start of a new series called National Treasure starring Robbie Coltrane (Hagrid for Harry Potter fans) and Julie Walters (Mrs Weasley for HP fans). It is quite topical as it is about a star who has been accused of historic sexual abuse. Here in the UK the last couple of years has been fraught with various people being accused and taken to court some guilty and some not. I thought it was an interesting start to the series as although he is denying any wrong doing his sexual proclivities would suggest he is possibly guilty of the crime. I will watch the remaining three episodes. It was well acted.

I did not read at bedtime as I was looking at social media and I was too tired.

21st September - Wednesday 

So after my usual start to the day of walking the dog I decided to go to town as we were expecting some men in to fit a new shower and an extractor fan in the bathroom, and as my husband was working from home I did not need to be there.

After visiting the library to drop back a few books I did manage to also pick one up whilst there. I decided to go look around the 7 charity shops (thrift stores) that my town has. I managed to get quite a few books including I think the full set of Anne of Green Gables books - I have read the first but not any of the others so I think I have a treat in store.
I very rarely find any clothes that either fit or that I like but today I struck lucky in Oxfam, finding this M and S ladies shirt, so I bought it and at £4.99 I think it was a bargain.
I got back home just after 11 and the workmen had not yet turned up. I had received some Happy Mail whilst I was out.
This is the latest Joan Elliott chart that was created for last weekends cross stitch retreat in Cardiff. I was lucky to get a signed copy and will start kitting this up probably with a view to starting it on my birthday in January (you never know I may have got Enchanted Aurora finished by then - please don't laugh, because I am).  I then popped to the shop as we were running low on milk.

After lunch the men finally turned up and after assessing the situation we got the extractor fan installed but they had been misinformed as to what they were doing with the shower so that will now happen next Friday, 30th September.

Whilst the man was working in the bathroom drilling etc I went out in the garden and attacked our back hedge which grows like a Triffid. It does not seem to matter how often we cut it back it just regrows so quickly. Anyway I can now get out my back gate and all the rogue bits have been lopped off. It will need a proper hedge trimmer trim before the weather gets too unpredictable but that is a job for my husband as it needs someone with long arms which I do not possess.

In the evening I finished off Geometric Bookmark by backing it with a piece of felt and trimming it
I am really pleased with this one I think the design is absolutely stunning. It is from August 2016's Cross Stitch Collection magazine and the designer is Anniina Wallius and there are three  more in the issue which I will stitch at some stage.

I then started on the Scotties and Westies one by Textile Heritage
I did this whilst watching Bake Off - again my interest in pastries isn't quite the same as my interest in cakes, but it was on in the background and then the concluding part to the DCI Banks story which left on a cliff hanger as one of the characters was stabbed at the end of the episode. As she is a fairly main character I expect she will survive unless the actress has asked to be written out of the series. We shall see.

In bed I managed to read three chapters of Dumb Witness, I think I may finish this one over the next couple of days. I am still enjoying it.

22nd September - Thursday

I spent the day with my daughter who is returning to University on Friday. We went out for a meal at a local pub before going to watch Bridget Jones's Baby at our local cinema. Neither of us had read reviews of the film other than seeing the trailer and I am glad we went in blind. I think it was on par with the first film (I am not so keen on the second one) and we both laughed quite a lot. We also both liked the touches that referred back to the original film. I think if you like romantic comedies then this is a good film to see as long as bad language and sexual references do not offend you.

I did not do much else other than a little more on my Scotties and Westies Bookmark
In bed I read another three chapters of Dumb Witness and think I will get it finished on the next read.
I did not stay in bed very long I felt a bit unwell - basically I had over eaten and it wasn't sitting well. So I ended up spending the night downstairs on the sofa and did not have a great deal of sleep, but I did manage to catch up on some Book Tube videos on You Tube and joined Pottermore to find out what my Patronus is a Black Mare apparently  and which house I belong to which is Gryffindor (yay I was happy about that).

23rd September - Friday


You can probably guess I was very tired all day  but did manage to function pretty well until the early evening when I just needed to have a nap. My daughter returned to University so that now leaves just me, my husband and our dog Lily. I worked on Viennese Waltz but due to tiredness only got about an hours stitching done, but as I reiterate time again, progress is progress.

In the evening I watched the first proper show in this years Strictly Come Dancing and it was a good one. Only 6 of the celebrities danced and of those I think Robert Rinder of the tv show Judge Rinder was just brilliant, in that he showed so much enthusiasm and he does have some rhythm. Even Lesley Joseph who is a comic actress and the oldest contestant this year wasn't completely hopeless, she is paired with the professional dance Anton Du Beke and he usually gets the lame duck, so all in all quite good.

In bed I finished reading Dumb Witness which I have thoroughly enjoyed.

24th September - Saturday

On letting the dog out first thing Saturday morning around 6.30am I noticed how pretty the sky was so I took a photo. I think it is important to stop and take a moment to appreciate the simple things in life.
So after receiving the phone call from my Mum asking us not to come this weekend because she is poorly I went to make breakfast our usual bowl of porridge. Whilst doing this the post came early and I received two more Textile Heritage Bookmark kits for my collection. These are Stained Glass Window (which I think will be a fun stitch and look stunning when done) and Scottish Thistle which has a lovely tartan ribbon as a backer unlike the usual felt backings most of these kits contain.
I spent most of the day on the computer browsing etc. My husband was clearly tired as he slept and snored on the sofa most of the afternoon and still managed to sleep all Saturday night when we went to bed.

After watching the Saturday Strictly Come Dancing show which was enjoyable but I think I preferred Friday nights to be honest. I watched the first of the new series of Lucifer on Amazon Prime followed by two episodes of a series called American Gothic. I enjoyed both programmes particularly Lucifer which is quite tongue in cheek. Whilst this was on I continued working on my Scotties and Westies bookmark.
I am pleased with my progress and with a bit of luck may finish the stitching in the next couple of sessions working on it.

In bed I returned to reading The Secret Garden and read a few chapters.




25th September - Sunday

I was up early so I decided to do some stitching on Prairie Schooler Alphabet Letter G as I would like to get this completed before the end of the month. Whilst doing this I reduced my watch list on You Tube.

We did dog walking and went to the shop. On returning from shop I had received a delivery from Amazon  - Bookmarks Galore chart book.
There are quite a few in here that I want to stitch.


After doing  some little bits of housework I returned to working on Letter G and below is my progress.

I spent nearly 5 hours stitching on this and am pleased with my progress I want to get it completed by the end of the month.

In the evening I watched TV - the latest episode of Victoria which I am really enjoying. It was announced this week that it will be returning for a second season. Tonight's episode featured a cameo appearance of the writer of the series Daisy Goodwin as the Duchess of Inverness, which I think was a nice touch. I continued working on  my Scotties and Westies Bookmark. It only now requires the yellow back stitching in the tartan border and the felt backing and tassel attaching. It will get completed in the next week.

I did not read in bed.

So that's another week gone.

Bye for now
Take Care


love Lisa x

1 comment:

20th November 2017

Hi Blogger Friends, As always I would like to thank all that read and or commented on my last weeks posting. So here is what I did in th...